Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Sunrise

Today, because of an earlier than normal work obligation, I rolled out of bed at 5:30 and hit the road by 6:20 for the 4 mile loop. My trepidations about aggravating my tender heels seemed unfounded. I had enough time to stretch, which is no guarantee that there will be no problems, but it sets my mind at ease. The true proof is when I take the first strides on the gradual incline in front of my house. Given my self-promise to do nothing that will cause an injury recurrence, I am prepared to bail at the first sign of trouble that doesn't adjust in a few seconds.
Why do you call this blog the House of Pain, then?
Because there always will be some, no matter how carefully I structure my runs. Inevitably, when the mileage ramp begins, there will come some decision points. The ramps will not begin until later on, probably mid-May, and there will be nothing abrupt about them. Racing? Forget about it until next year. I won't pay an entry fee unless I'm committed to going at 100%+, and for practical reasons I'm waiting until the calendar pages reveal my 60th birthday. One thing about age group racing, it's a lot easier at the entry point.

No comments:

Post a Comment